Vascular Plants of Alberta, Part 1: Ferns, Fern Allies, Gymnosperms, and Monocots
By John Packer and A. Joyce Gould
$34.95 CAD / $34.95 USD
282 pages, illustrations
6 x 9 inches
978-1-55238-684-2 (Institutional PDF)
About the Book
Vascular Plants of Alberta is a user-friendly, portable key to the ferns, fern allies, gymnosperms, and monocots of Alberta. This key to the species of Alberta will delight all those interested in botany, with its intuitive and exhaustive presentation of the plants, including new names and taxonomical understandings that have emerged in recent years. Designed to be carried into the field for handy reference and use, Vascular Plants of Alberta presents:
- A list of all species, native and introduced, known to occur in Alberta, arranged alphabetically
- Information on scientific names of taxa and their synonyms
- Keys for identifying taxa, including infra specific
- Descriptions of the major taxonomic categories
- Discussion about taxonomic problems and relationships of the taxa
- Distribution and habitat information for native species
- Descriptions for new taxa
John G. Packer is Professor Emeritus of the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Alberta. He was curator of the Vascular Plant Herbarium at the University of Alberta from 1958 to 1988. He is the author of Flora of Alberta, 2nd edition (1983).
A. Joyce Gould is the Science Coordinator in the Parks Division of Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation. She is the co-editor of Rare Vascular Plants of Alberta (2000).
Praise for Vascular Plants of Alberta, Part I:
The authors are well-qualified to write about the Alberta flora… current, complete, and authoritative.
– Paul M. Catling, The Canadian Field-Naturalist